This morning I went with Tadbir, who is part of the community development department, back to Mns Balee, the site of the community owned beach resort. (Nana, a translator also went) We met with Mahdhan, a local Acehenese man who is the secretary of the project committee. The community has 408 citizens. It was good to hear first hand what they want out of the site and what their ideas are. They want a kitchen, 8 bungalow (4 for families, 4 for couples), 2 bungalows for staff, restroom facilities for guests and staff, parking for 100 cars and 200 motorcycles, and a slide into the pond. I had heard previously from the MC team that they did not want overnight guests in the bungalows for religious reasons, however that is not what I heard today. I'm still having a hard time finding any sort of map to use to draw on. The next step will perhaps be to hold a community design workshop. It's so much fun having an interpreter.
We also went to check out another nearby beach facility at Mns Lampuuk. They have 30 restaurants and many small eating bungalows that are raised above the sand close together. From what I understand, it gets busy on the weekends.
Then we went to another site for a Toko, or market, which Mercy Corps will build for Mns Lampuuk. These are the module / pod type structures that can get expanded horizontally and vertically. This one is nice because it wraps the corner.
It was a fun trip. I'm hoping to get to a market or something tonight. I still have a bit of jet lag because I wake up before the alarm clock which is so unlike me. Steve and I skyped this morning when I got to work. It worked pretty well. It was nice to chat, and to see Tomba too.
No comments:
Post a Comment