These photos are from my evening neighborhood walk. Everyone I encountered was so friendly. I was even invited into the mosque to pray - maybe next time. These are some of the more interesting houses with texture. The plaster houses aren't so interesting - are they Dutch inspired or just what they consider modern? Driving around all the villages this morning it is striking to see all the new construction that occurred after the tsunami. It all looks the same, with the same colors.
It is interesting to hear people's accounts of the tsunami. Luca's nanny who is 23 years old, was out of town with her parents for the weekend visiting another relative. They lost 33 members of her family from her father's side. She has not gone back to the village since. We drove by one of the two mass graves today. I'm not sure if it was the one with 45,000 or 65,000 bodies. It is planted with grass and has a single monument.







No comments:
Post a Comment