Sunday, November 2, 2008

Mns Balee Community Workshop #2











So yesterday we held the second community workshop. The last one was two weeks ago with the objective of information gathering, including site assets, program requirements, and discussing a systems approach to sustainability (people, place, profit). I took that information and created a site diagram that illustrated primary and secondary districts, paths, and edges, in addition to nodes or "special areas", gateways, and landmarks. I wasn't sure how this would go over since the diagram is rather abstract. But I think it was very helpful to explain before I moved to the map which actually showed how all of  their program elements might be located on the site, including how the pedestrian and auto circulation concept. I created a powerpoint with 110 slides, mostly showing images of other eco resorts, and what steps they are taking to make it "eco" such as turtle egg protection, locally grown coconut biodiesel, etc. We also talked about how important it is to source supplies locally as an economic benefit to their village and region. I showed them images of "Bali" style landscaping and architecture and we talked about what tourists like - clean and natural. We talked about the importance of providing activity options to tourists, creating a local identity, and showcasing their culture. 

We also talked about the restaurant concept. I thought they wanted seating for 24, and in fact they would like 24 tables. I told them we would price it and see how much we could afford for $21,000 - the converted amount which depends on the exchange rate which most recently has been fluctuating as a result of the world economic turmoil. They also are concerned about the wind and rain blowing into the seating area. However, I told them the cost of folding windows would be expensive. They said additional seating is more important. Maybe we can detail it so that windows can be added later, and in the meantime provide rolling coconut shades for weather emergencies. I will work on developing both the master plan and restaurant in more detail based on their feedback. I plan on continuing to develop the presentation, finish having it translated, and making them a nice image book that the village can keep after I'm gone. Since it's a long term development project, hopefully they can use it as a resource. For example I will show them some natural looking retaining walls, coconut mulch pathways, etc. The meeting took 2 hours which is longer than the 90 minutes I had planned on. The whole translation thing pretty much doubles the time.

If you're wondering about the bird, it just showed up at the meeting. It was huge! They live in the wild, but apparently this one is known around town for its begging for food. It flew right past me and landed on the low wall behind me. The beak could do some serious damage. But its these types of things that make the experience worth it. It's all such an adventure with the meeting finally starting an hour late, the power chord to the projector having problems, using a building without walls, sitting on the floor - oh, there was a stack of korans (muslim bible) that I started to reach for to prop up the projector - luckily Miki quickly squelched that mistake. Miki is in charge of the community development department and has a degree in English Literature. He is very good, not just at translating, but in managing his team. At the meeting he translated which was great because he understands the concepts and didn't just translate word for word, but so that it made sense I think. I get the feeling that he might actually improve upon what I say.

We are trying to coordinate a trip to Sabang to visit an eco resort on Friday. We will take 5-6 people from the village and 4-5 people from the community development team. We will take the ferry, which takes about an hour, and have a tour and lunch of the resort. Mercy Corps drivers will pick the villagers up in the morning and pick them up from the ferry in the evening. Hopefully we will have a tour and talk with the owner. Karla and Luca (the woman and her son who I am staying with) will come out either Friday morning or afternoon and stay with me at the resort for the weekend. It's going to be so much nicer than the other bungalows I have stayed at, much more expensive too at $25 a night. They have clean white sheets though and attached bathrooms with real toilets and showers. It should be fun.

I've really enjoyed working on this master plan and have realized that I would really like to work on more master plan's in the future. No more map making for me though. And I do miss having a plotter and a large scanner. It's nice working on the large scale trace paper, however the only scanner is smaller than 11x17, so the hard copy cannot be inserted into the powerpoint, that I did in photoshop. I think working by hand is more efficient and flexible.

No comments: